E - File your 1040, 1040a or 1040ez

File your tax return for the following states for FREE at the same time as your federal:

Supported States: AL, AR, AZ, CA, CO, CT, GA, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MA, MD, MI, MN, MO, MS, NC, NE, NJ, NM, NY, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, UT, VA, WI, WV.

Start My Return
By clicking the button above you will be directed to our secure server to complete your return.

Archive for the ‘Tax Refund’ Category

DIYTax Return Filing Tips.

Posted on: February 8th, 2012 by Joe Franklin

Many taxpayers are doing their own federal tax returns, while before they might have used a tax advisor. If you’re one of them, this is for you. The IRS has many rules which can be complicated and there are also typical misconceptions about the rules. These tips will help you to keep it organized.

Tip #1. Start earlier – do not leave It to the Last minute.

If you depart it to the last moment you are more likely to forget something or make a costly mistake. By starting early you can file your return or file for an extension (Form 4868) before the due date. You cannot file for an extension after the due date and will be topic to penalties for a late return, even if you have a legitimate reason. If you don’t file at all, the penalties will be at a much higher rate than if you underapproximationd the sum. An extension provides you extra time to file a return, but you must even now pay by the due date.

Tip #2. Be organized.

Keep all your documents in the same folder as you receive the, so they don’t get misplaced. check all the details as you receive your documents in January. check the name and SSN and compare details with other documents, like your end-of-year pay stub can be checked against the W-2. These documents include W-2s, investment 1099s, Cash gain 8949s and 1098s for mortgages.

Tip #3. Pay your taxes on time.

If you have applied for an extension, you must nonetheless pay at least 90% of what you approximation you owe by the due date to prevent penalties on unpaid taxes.

Tip #4 Use eFiling for Safety and because it is the Easiest Option.

You will get your income tax refund more quickly, as well. But be sure to use a secure website and stay away fromed using a shared pc, as an individual else may be able to find out your details. Don’t answer or even open emails purporting to be from the IRS – the IRS doesn’t email taxpayers.

Tip #5 stay away from common mistakes.

This is where efiling is very useful.. Forgetting to sign your return or incorrect arithmetic are 2 typical errors which are avoided with efiling.

Tip #6 Take All your Deductions and credit scores.

• sociable safety deductions. If you have changed jobs during the year, there is a good chance you have had too much social safety deducted, and may be due a credit

• Home purchase and refinancing. Be careful to deduct the correct factors and mortgage curiosity. Remember, points must be amortized correctly – usually over the life of the loan.

• First-Time Homebuyer’s credit score Incentive. If you claimed this credit score and sold your home befire you’ve lived in it for less than 3 years, you will have to pay back the credit.

• Charitable Contributions and Volunteer Work. You are entitled to deduct the value of these deductions. If you donate clothes, furniture or cars, you can claim the value at time of donation, not new value. The Charity can help determine a suitable value. Any out-of-pocket or travel expenses for volunteer charitable work can also be claim.

• capital Gains Tax, Reinvested dividends were taxed when they accrued and now are regarded as part of the cost of your mutual fund. If you don’t include them in the cost, you will be paying tax twice on them.

• Medical Expenses and Unreimbursed employee Expenses. Be careful to comply with the rules for these 2 deductions. suitable medical expenses which exceed 7.5% of adjusted gross income can be deducted. Total unreimbursed employee expenses exceeding 2% of adjusted gross income may also be deducted.

Tip #7 Be Careful of Deductions that an individual Else may be professing.

You may be hit for back taxes and penalties when it is picked up. This particularly applies if you have a child at college. Find out whether your child is filing a tax return and proclaiming the particular exemption, which would mean you can’t claim that child as a dependent.

Tip #8 Choose the Correct Taxpayer Status.

If you qualify as a Head of Household – are unmarried, have paid more than half the cost of a home for the year and have claimed an exemption for a relative for most (>50%) of the year – then your tax rates may be lower than as a solitary taxpayer.

Tip #9 Use Last Year’s Federal Tax Return as a Handy verifylist.

But note any changes as they occur during the year in your tax document folder so you don’t forget them due to the stress of tax season. Keep your list of changes with your previous tax return.

Tip #10 State Sales Tax Deduction.

If you live in a state with very low state income taxes, you may benefit by deducting state sales tax instead.

Tip #11 Alternate Minimum Tax.

If you are a high payer of tax you may be liable for regular tax or AMT, whichever is higher. Use form 6251 or tax software to verify.

If you keep all these tips in mind then you can be sure you will calculate and pay the right amount of tax so there will be no unpleasant surprises. Don’t try to claim unreasonable deductions which may trigger a tax audit. Be honest and you can be sure your income tax return will be acceptable.

Federal Government Pilots New Debit Card Program for Tax Refunds

Posted on: January 29th, 2011 by Joe Franklin

Debit Cards for Refunds For the first time ever, people earning less than $35,000 annually may be able to take advantage of a new government program that enables them to receive their tax refunds on a debit card rather than in the form of a paper check. Program backers hope that the new program will make it easier for low-income families who don’t maintain checking accounts to access their refund money quickly and easily.


Get a Bigger Tax Return This Year

Posted on: December 21st, 2010 by Joe Franklin

Tax Refund We all want more back when we e-file.  Americans still do not take full advantage of the tax deductions and credits that are available to them when they file their taxes.

In her January 27th, 2010 article that she called “Taxes: 10 Ways to Get More Money Back,” Lucy Norris of the Cookeville Times writes a brief overview of twenty ways to get a bigger return when you e-file. In this article, we’ll cover the first several of her savvy pointers.


Are you Owed a Tax Refund?

Posted on: December 16th, 2010 by Joe Franklin

Are You Owed A Tax Refund Check?What if you could get a big check from the IRS for Christmas this year in the form of a forgotten tax refund?

Are You Owed Money by the IRS?

Often because of mailing address errors, more than one hundred thousand tax filers are owed money from the IRS, and in his November 24th, 2010 article, Jay Petrillo from the Examiner explains the present tax refund situation.